Monday, April 27, 2009

Apocalypse Mexico

Today I had the first mildly fearful day in Mexico City, but it wasn't quite related to the swine flu. I did yoga this afternoon around 10:30, a noble task I hadn't bothered to do for the past three weeks. I felt tired and hard-worked afterward and sat down on the couch to - what else- gchat. Then the room started gyrating, and I felt the couch pulsing. I was mostly convinced it was extreme fatigue from being out of shape, so I moved to a more sturdy chair at the dinner table. But the room kept throbbing, and the doors and windows began to slam open and shut. It lasted for a bit more than a minute, long enough for me to realize it wasn't all in my head.

Turns out while I was happily getting buff in my 9th floor apartment, a 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck in the nearby state of Guerrero, about 150 miles from Mexico City. I haven't heard of any damage to the city or deaths caused by the rumble, which is great, but the incident certainly shook me up for a while. Especially because about two minutes after the shakedown I got a nosebleed, which made me half expect to see an alien spaceship encroaching on the skyline รก la any movie starring Will Smith. I was desperate to get off the 9th floor, but also incredibly stinky, so in a jolted, panicked rush I showered, cleaned up and fled the apartment (though I took the elevator down, so maybe I'm just exaggerating for dramatic blogger effect).

Feeling more vulnerable than usual, I snagged a free surgical mask at the register of a Sanborn's pharmacy/bookstore as I forked over 180 pesos for a copy of Twilight in English (free poster included inside!). I had to restrict my reading this evening after quickly devouring the first half, which I like to think is more a coping mechanism to the Mexican Apocalypse and not an indicator that I might still actually be 13.

Speaking of overreacting, a lot of non-nationals here seem to be taking this swine flu thing to the extreme. I can assure you that the images you see on any news channel or in the papers are more than just a bit blown out of proportion. Rumors are circulating intensely, and it's hard to assess what's actually happening and what's all just a bit of fear-mongering. A primary example is the fact that a lot of French exchange students are fleeing in droves following the desperate pleas of their families back home. Granted, the EU did just issue a travel advisory against flying to Mexico, but no one has said anything yet about evacuating. I guess they're mostly afraid the borders will close and they'll be trapped inside. My English roomie Drew has been asked by his university back home to avoid traveling until after May 21. I figure it's already hit Ohio, so I'll be fine to go home whenever I please.

So, to anyone out there who is scared of the swine flu, let me just suggest that you pick up a copy of Twilight and indulge in the wonderful, mystical, frightening world of vampires. It's all make-believe anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment