Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tales from teaching

This week has been particularly trying with the niños, and it's only a 3-day week (we had Monday off school for some mystery national holiday). Yesterday, one of my precious toddlers was lovingly petting my face when he suddenly whipped out his claws and left me with a few little scabs on my cheek. I was holding another baby in my arms when he got really stimulated due to a piñata-bashing moment and he nearly stopped my heart rhythm with the force of his tiny fists.

Today the school hosted a first aid certification class in my classroom, so I had to move everything upstairs to the library, where there are comfy couches, tons of bright pillows and shelves of books. It's hell. Two of my 4-year-olds found a rogue (also rouge) crayon and colored on both the carpet and themselves before I noticed half an hour later. I had to sit with them after class as they scrubbed soap into the carpet and probably just made it worse. Later, my troubled 6-year-old (he has foster parent issues) decided to jump on me repeatedly, at times wrapping around my neck as he squealed with delight. He was removed from class within two minutes.

Speaking of piñata-bashing, a very lucky 3-year-old brought a nearly 4-foot Dora the Explorer piñata to class today for her birthday, in addition to a large Dora cake that I did not get a piece of (the school averages one bday cake per week, so I wasn't too upset). We rounded up the toddlers into the courtyard as the groundskeeper suspended the piñata Suddam Hussein-style (too soon?) above the grass. Only one child was able to make a dent, and he's the one who I think has the most potential to make the Police Beat one day in the near future.

Three stories up ahead: Lesbian March, "Sneakerhead" culture and the opening of some fancy restaurant at a university.

No comments:

Post a Comment